Sunday, August 3, 2014

2007 Bowman #15 Cole Hamels (and Chase Utley)

Phillies 6, Mets 0
Game 107 - Tuesday Night, July 29th in Flushing
Record - 47-60, 5th Place, 11 1/2 games behind the Nationals

Another Why Even Bother Post-Vacation Massive Catch-Up, Part 4 of 8

One Sentence Summary:  Cole Hamels dominated the Mets in a 6-0 win.

What It Means:  It doesn't mean a whole lot, but it does solidify Hamels' position as one of the top pitchers in baseball.  I spent the majority of this game following Twitter for the latest trade rumors and hitting refresh on the MLB Trade Rumors page.  As of this writing (Wednesday evening, July 30th) the Phils hadn't dealt anyone.  I'm starting to think they won't be making any moves at all.  (Post vacation update - I was right.)

What Happened:  Hamels pitched eight fantastic innings, striking out eight and allowing only six hits.  Ken Giles pitched  a scoreless ninth to lower his ERA to 0.93.  All the offense came on three home runs - Jimmy Rollins' 14th, Grady Sizemore's first as a Phillie and Chase Utley's grand slam in the seventh.  It was the fifth grand slam of Utley's career.

Featured Card:  I wanted to post a card that featured both Hamels and Utley, given that those two played the biggest parts in this win.  According to my trusty Zistle database, I have four such cards in my collection.  Three of these cards have been featured before, and I honestly wasn't familiar with the fourth.  Unbeknownst to me until now, Hamels' 2007 Bowman card features his photo on the front, but Utley's photo on the back.  So technically . . . it's a Hamels/Utley combo card.  Here are the four Hamels/Utley cards in my collection:

2007 Bowman #15
2008 Topps Allen & Ginter Boxloader #BH3
2009 Phillies Team Issue World Champions
2009 Goudey 4 in 1 Red #35-47

No comments: