Sunday, August 3, 2014

1986 Topps #39 Dave Rucker

Mets 7, Phillies 1
Game 106 - Monday Night, July 28th in Flushing
Record - 46-60, 5th Place, 12 1/2 games behind the Nationals

Another Why Even Bother Post-Vacation Massive Catch-Up, Part 3 of 8

One Sentence Summary:  In what could potentially be his final start with the Phillies (it wasn't), A.J. Burnett got lit up early and the Mets went on to win this ballgame easily, 7-1.

What It Means:  It seems as if everyone the Phillies are trying to trade right now is struggling.  (These posts are running late, but I'm actually composing them shortly after the games are finished.)

What Happened:  Burnett allowed four first inning runs and was chased after just five innings.  His final line wasn't pretty - seven runs on eight hits and one three-run home run to former Phillies prospect Travis d'Arnaud.  Marlon Byrd and Carlos Ruiz both had four hits in this game, but it was all for naught.

Featured Card:  I was going to feature a d'Arnaud card from his time in the Phillies system, but I've previously posted the three cards of his in my collection.  Instead, here's the Dave Rucker card that my oldest son Doug pulled from a pack of 1986 Topps purchased from the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk for a dollar.  (He threw out the gum.)

There's a gift shop on the Ocean City boardwalk that sells Star Wars men and baseball cards, among other things.  It's an annual stop of ours whenever we walk the boards and this year Doug spent his money on packs of junk wax era cards.  He came away with packs of 1988 and 1991 Score, 1986 Topps and 1991 Fleer.  He spent the evening sorting and studying these cards and asking when we could go back for more packs of 1988 Score - his favorite of the bunch.

4 comments:

Jim from Downingtown said...

Is that the boardwalk store that also has records in the back? I've been there many times.

Anonymous said...

1988 Score? The boy has discriminating tastes! :-)

Jim said...

Jim - I love that store and it's called Only Yesterday. I purchased a 1975 Phillies Photo Album from them last week for $12. I'll be showing it off soon. The store with the Star Wars men/junk wax is a generic beachy souvenir shop.

TSR - He was very impressed with early Score! Not so impressed with 1991 Fleer and surprisingly not really impressed with early '90s Upper Deck. (We went back and got more packs towards the end of the week.)

Jim from Downingtown said...

Yes, Only Yesterdays is another store that I always go to when I'm on the boardwalk.

But the store that sells Star Wars stuff in the front left corner IS a beachy shop, but the back half is all records and CDs. My son usually spends hours in there looking for obscure vinyl.

(Sorry to hijack this thread, but at this point in the season, it's more interesting than Phillies chatter anyway.)

Why am I up so late? My son and I just got home from a Kiss concert in Camden.