Saturday, September 26, 2026

Game 160 - Phillies in Complete Freefall

Tampa Bay Rays  2 
Philadelphia Phillies  0 

2019 Chachi Phillies Phestival #3
Friday Night, September 25th
Citizens Bank Park - Philadelphia, PA
87-73, 2nd Place, 6 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  The frigid, lethargic offense supported a strong pitching effort from Cristopher Sanchez with four singles and non-competitive at bats in this 2-0 loss to the Rays.

What It Means:  The Diamondbacks have won six in a row and are a game behind the Phillies for a Wild Card spot with two games remaining to play.  Over the last 15 games, the Phillies have seven home runs.  Kyle Schwarber (.150), Brandon Marsh (.148), Trea Turner (.244) and J.T. Realmuto (0 for 32) are horrendous right now.  And while I'm at it, here are some rantings of a frustrated, cranky, tired Phillies fan in no particular order:
  1. I'm tired of this version of the Phillies, and what's frustrating is I don't think anything drastic can or will change for 2027* given the contracts handed out in recent years.  They're either red hot or ice cold with nothing in between.  Over the past three seasons, this team's core has consistently come up small in big moments, going into freefall whenever games matter most.
  2. *Assuming there's baseball in 2027.
  3. I'm less than impressed with the front office, and I'm looking right in your direction, Dave Dombrowski.  Your bullpen acquisitions have been atrocious, and the line-up you've built relies on the long ball or bust.
  4. Why are we carrying three catchers on the roster, and only using the one currently mired in an historic slump?
  5. The interim manager and the coaching staff undoubtedly have worked hard, but they've got to go.  Whatever they're doing, it's not working.
  6. And they should take the City Connect uniforms with them.  I initially liked the quirkiness of the design, and friends and family know I'm partial to the blue and yellow color scheme, but after three full seasons of them, I now think they look ridiculous.
  7. The baby blue retro uniforms should be the full-time road uniforms.
  8. The Phillies need an overall rebrand. The current look and logo have been in place since 1992, meaning 2027 will be the 36th season with the same logo and red-pinstriped home uniform.  For comparison, the prior maroon uniforms with the fat P logo were worn for 22 seasons between 1971 and 1991.  I'd vote for the Field of Dreams look or let's get nuts and go to blue/yellow as our primary colors.  We need to start a new era and a new look.
  9. Listening to a TV broadcast is painful, especially when you know the quality of broadcasting and game calling going on with the radio team, led by Scott Franzke.  I love John Kruk, but the other guys have never heard of taking a pause and letting the game breathe.  TMac's consistent over the top delivery is particularly jarring when the team is playing horribly.  At least Franzke tones it down and seems to emphasize with the distraught fans when he's describing the action on the field.
What Happened:  Sanchez allowed two runs in the first two innings, but then settled in to pitch five scoreless innings and strike out 10.  He struck out the side in the sixth and seventh innings before yielding to the bullpen.  The Phillies offense looked lost.

Featured Card:  I was sad to hear that Bill Giles passed away yesterday at the age of 92.  Giles is responsible for giving us Harry Kalas and the Phillie Phanatic, two very important and key figures in any Phillies fan's life over the past 40-plus years.  We saw Giles at quite a few events in recent years, and he was always friendly and warm towards us, and I hope he realized how many people he made happy.

No comments: