Sunday, August 30, 2026

Game 135 - SOSA SLAMS PHILS TO WIN; LC Tribute

Philadelphia Phillies  5 
Los Angeles Angels  3 

2026 Topps Now #611
Late Friday Night, August 28th
Angel Stadium - Anaheim, CA
75-60, 2nd Place, 5 games behind the Braves

One Sentence Summary:  Edmundo Sosa hit a pinch-hit grand slam in the top of the ninth inning, sending the Phillies to an amazing 5-3 win over the Angels.

What It Means:  Yes, I stayed up for this entire game but I almost turned it off in the seventh and went to bed.  I'm glad I didn't!

What Happened:  Andrew Painter suffered through a typical first inning for him, allowing three runs on two hits, two walks and two wild pitches, before settling down and pitching well the next five innings.  He didn't allow another hit the rest of the way and struck out six overall.  The Phillies pushed across a run in the fifth on a bunt single from Derek Hill, scoring Alec Bohm.  

Angels' reliever Ben Joyce came on in the ninth to try and hold a 3-1 lead.  Bohm was hit by a pitch and Justin Crawford walked, and Bryson Stott hit a fly ball to right that would have been a home run if not for an incredible leaping catch by Wade Meckler.  With two outs, J.T. Realmuto drew another walk and Sammy Peralta relieved Joyce.  Sosa connected for his slam, giving the Phillies a 5-3 lead and stunning the Angel Stadium crowd.

Featured Card:  Sosa rightfully earned a Topps Now card, but I also wanted to pay tribute to Larry Christenson, who passed away on Friday.  Christenson was a career Phillie, and a member of the 1980 World Championship team.  He won 83 games in his 11-year career, but I'll remember him most for being omnipresent at Phillies alumni events, special ceremonies and even just regular games.  He never didn't sign or pose for a picture with our oldest son, Doug, and I'd venture to guess Doug probable has at least a dozen Christenson autographs in his collection on Wall of Fame prints, baseballs, photo cards and score cards.  LC will be missed.

1977 Topps #59
 
1982 Donruss #219
 
2017 Chachi Alumni
Weekend #1
2018 Chachi Friendly
Encounters #18
2019 Chachi Friendly
Encounters #7

No comments: