Wednesday, July 23, 2014

2014 Topps Opening Day #26 Jonathan Papelbon

Giants 9, Phillies 6 (14 Innings)
Game 100 - Tuesday Night, July 22nd in Philadelphia
Record - 43-57, 5th Place, 13 games behind the Nationals

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies lost in spectacular fashion in the 14th after Jonathan Papelbon blew his third save of the year.

What It Means:  It means that Papelbon's trade value decreased ever so slightly.  For what it's worth, and based on everything I've read and heard (from media outlets - I have no inside sources) I think the following players are elsewhere as of August 1st:  Papelbon, Marlon Byrd, Antonio Bastardo and A.J. Burnett.  I think everyone else sticks around and perhaps a few more moves are made in the offseason.

What Happened:  The Phils plated three runs in the fifth, giving them a 5-3 lead.  Jimmy Rollins led the way with a two-run home run and Byrd followed with an RBI double.  Papelbon recorded the first out in the ninth but then allowed a home run to Buster Posey.  Long man Jeff Manship pitched a scoreless 13th, but allowed four Giants runs in the 14th.

Featured Card:  If my predictions above are correct, I won't be posting too many more Papelbon cards on my blog.  Posting this card also gives me the chance to promote my oldest son's want list for his 2014 Topps Opening Day set.  I've added the inserts he's looking for as well.  Anyone have a spare Mariner Moose card laying around?

No comments: