Monday, July 19, 2010

Phillies at Cardinals: July 19th through 22nd

Monday 7:05, Tuesday & Wednesday 8:15, Thursday 2:15

Records: Phillies 48-43, 3rd Place in the NL East (5½ games behind the Braves); Cardinals 51-41, 1st Place in the NL Central (½ game ahead of the Reds)

1971 Topps #55 Steve Carlton

It certainly doesn't get any easier for the Phillies with this 4-game series against the new team atop the NL Central. When the Phils hosted the Cardinals back in May, I included a '67 Topps Steve Carlton baseball card in the series preview post. The Phils went on to win 3 out of the 4 games in that series. I'm going to try the same thing this time around, this time with a '71 Topps card of Lefty.

On a related note, 2010 was supposed to be the year I turned my attention back to my long-neglected '71 Topps project. Entering the year, I needed approximately two-thirds of the set - 271 cards - to wrap up the complete set. To date, I've added exactly zero (0) cards to the set, and I have yet to attend a baseball card show this year. I know I could pick up a nice lot of cards either through eBay or Checkoutmycards, but it's just so much more satisfying collecting a set by attending baseball card shows. Maybe in the fall there will be a nice baseball card show nearby.

Cardinals Probables: Blake Hawksworth, Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Adam Wainwright

No comments: