Friday, July 3, 2009

1961 Topps #78 Lee Walls

Recent purchases from Pitchout Baseball Cards in Avalon, NJ

I found Pitchout Baseball Cards last year during a trip to Avalon, and I knew I'd head back again this year. Jenna and I walked over there last Saturday afternoon, and the box of vintage Phillies cards was exactly where I remembered it being last year. I think the newest card in the box was a 1981 Donruss Del Unser card, so this was my kind of box.

Lee Walls was acquired in June 1960 from the Reds with Tony Gonzalez for Fred Hopke, Harry Anderson and Wally Post. A former All-Star with the Cubs (1958), Lee played all outfield positions, first base and third base in 1960 and 1961 for the Phils, hitting .247 with 11 home runs. Lee was selected from the Phils by the New York Mets in the 1961 expansion draft.

No comments: