Saturday, July 4, 2009

2002 Fleer Tradition #170 Jose Mesa

Happy Fortcha-da-lie!

Today is the 233rd anniversary of the birth of our country and the 7-year anniversary of the hottest baseball game I have ever attended. I managed to secure two fairly decent tickets to the Phillies-Expos game on July 4, 2002. Jenna and I decided to venture outside, despite the sweltering heat.

The official box score lists the game time temperature as 96 degrees with a 9mph wind. Honestly, I wouldn't have been surprised if the listed game time temperature had been 116 degrees. With the exception of our family's late-1980s trip to Arlington National Cemetery in July, I had never been this hot before or since.

The Phils led the game 1-0 from the 3rd through the 8th innings, thanks to RBI single from Ricky Ledee that scored Marlon Anderson. Jose Mesa entered the game in the top of the 9th to attempt to secure the 1-0 victory. (I could pretty much end the story right now, because most people would be able to guess what happened next). After a walk to Brian Schneider, Jose gave up a 2-run home run to Brad Wilkerson. The Expos would shut down the Phils in the bottom of the 9th for the 2-1 win.

Did I mention it was hot that day?

1 comment:

Jenna said...

And, according to Jim Jackson, the Phils have won every 4th of July game since this loss!