Monday, June 8, 2009

1982 Topps Traded #28T Bob Dernier

The Phillies Room is now the official sponsor of Bob Dernier's Baseball Reference page. That's right, the blog is now advertising. For a stat guy like me, the Baseball Reference website is an invaluable tool. Other than the Phillies sites listed down the sidebar, it's easily where I visit the most.

Why sponsor Bob Dernier's page? As an 8-year-old in 1982, I had the unbelievable opportunity to play catch with Bobby D. prior to a Phillies game. He was everything a professional baseball player should be - polite, accommodating and approachable - and that always stuck with me. For several years after our meeting, I wrote to Bobby each year and I always received back a personalized, autographed picture. (I continued this practice even after he was traded to the Cubs).

Presented here is my favorite Bob Dernier card. He shared his regular 1982 Topps card with Ozzie Virgil and Mark Davis on a "Future Stars" card, but he was granted his very own card in the '82 Topps Traded series.

Thanks again, Bobby D.

5 comments:

Dan said...

All I remember about Dernier is that inside park home run he hit in 1989.

Jim said...

What an exciting night that was!

Joe T said...

Bobby D is a great guy and once he was traded by the Phillies to the Cubs I had two favorite baseball teams. Despite being brought up in the Phils organization and ending his career here he is still revered in Chicago for being a part of that magical '84 team that was heavy on Phillies alums.

Jim said...

Heavy on Phillies alumns thanks to Dallas Green! I actually went out and bought a Cubs hat when he was traded.

john said...

Most exciting player I ever saw. Man could he cover ground.