Monday, March 2, 2020

Philly Baseball Card Show Report - J Roll, Lieby, Kitty, Pickles, 1965 Topps

2020 Chachi Friendly Encounters #1
2020 Chachi Friendly Encounters #3
2020 Chachi Friendly Encounters #2
I spent the latter part of this past week trying to recover from a nasty sinus infection but I rallied on Saturday to take Doug to the latest Philadelphia Sportscard & Memorabilia Show held in Valley Forge.  I was a bit out of sorts as I forgot my vintage Phillies want list at home, but I still managed to track down some great additions to my collection.  Doug mainly focused on what interests him the most these days - autograph and relic cards of current Phillies and Phillies prospects.

Once again, there was a ton of autograph guests and we opted for autographs from former Phillies Jimmy Rollins and Mike Lieberthal.  Doug had his Jimmy Rollins Retirement Ceremony ball signed with Lieberthal signing his Wall of Fame print.  Doug also stood in line with me as we got Jim Kaat to sign his 1965 Topps card which is now part of our growing set.  (In the coming weeks, I'll have a full run down of the 1965 Topps cards we added over at my 1965 Topps blog.)

For my Phillies collection, I added a personal white whale with the 1919-21 W514 strip card of Pickles Dillhoefer.  This deserves its own post, and I'll show that card off then.  From the same dealer I also bought the 1934-36 Diamond Stars card of Ethan Allen, and I already showed that card off in this post.  Also added were 1963 and 1964 photo packs featuring Phillies players from those seasons.  I've not yet developed want lists for these photo pack cards, but I should work on that soon.

We added 23 total cards to our 1965 Topps set, with the big purchases being the Ernie Banks, Willie McCovey and Brooks Robinson cards along with the Tug McGraw rookie card.

It was a tiring day, but there's nothing like buying a bunch of old baseball cards to help with a bad cold.


Memory Lane
Valley Forge 1 - September 2010 - Thinking of my Dad
Valley Forge 2 - October 2012 - Doug's first baseball card show
Valley Forge 3 - September 2014 - Meeting Darren Daulton
Oaks 1 - October 2015 - Meeting Pete Rose and Steve Carlton
Valley Forge 4 - September 2016 - Phillies acquisitions and 4 Phillies Legends
Valley Forge 5 - December 2016 - Meeting Don Money
Valley Forge 6 - September 2017 - Doug's big day
Valley Forge 7 - December 2017 - Ben's first baseball card show with Mike Schmidt and Rhys Hoskins!
Oaks 2 - December 2018 - Meeting Matt Stairs and Cole Hamels
Valley Forge 8 - March 2019 - 5 Phillies Autographs and Vintage Phillies Additions
Valley Forge 9 - September 2019 - Closing in on 1971 Topps set and Andrew McCutchen
Valley Forge 10 - December 2019 - Finishing 1971 Topps set, Starting 1965 Topps set, adding key autographs from Ryan Howard and Brad Lidge
Valley Forge 11 - February 2020 - More 1965 Topps cards, Jimmy Rollins, Mike Lieberthal and Jim Kaat

1 comment:

Fuji said...

Congratulations on taking 23 steps towards completing the 1965 set. I'm so jealous. That's my favorite Topps flagship design of the 60's.