Monday, March 4, 2019

Philly Baseball Card Show Report - 5 Autos, Vintage Phillies, '71 Topps High Numbers


After a long week at work (and some longer weeks ahead of me) it was nice to make the hour long drive to Valley Forge on Sunday for a baseball card show.  As has been my goal for the last few shows Doug and I have attended, my goal was to look for older Phillies cards and cross a few more 1971 Topps cards off my shrinking checklist.  Missions accomplished.

Here's what I added to my collection.


  • Autographs of former Phillies Ricky Bottalico, Dale Murphy, Kyle Kendrick, Joe Blanton and Brett Myers.  All were very pleasant and didn't seem to mind the ferocious coughing from Doug as he's currently getting over a bad cold.  Murphy even gave us an extra signed 1984 Topps card.
  • A 1952 Red Man Tobacco Richie Ashburn card with the tab still attached.  I found a dealer who had all four Phillies from the set lined up with the Ashburn being the nicest of the bunch.  I would have loved to have pulled the trigger on the full team set (which includes Granny Hamner, Willie Jones and Robin Roberts) but that would have fully depleted my card show budget.  I settled for just the Ashburn and it's a gorgeous card.
  • The Richie Allen and Cookie Rojas cards from the 1969 Transogram set.  I had never seen these cards before so when I found two Phillies together I was happy that the dealer was willing to work with me on a bundled price for the pair.  I just need the Johnny Callison card now for this elusive Phillies team set.
  • A 1982 Phillies photo booklet from that season's "Camera Night at the Vet."  Inside the little booklet is a 1982 team photo and a $4 coupon to The Camera Shop which has most likely expired.
  • The 1969 Topps Team Poster for the Phillies, which is another item I had never seen in person and for sale.  This thing is way bigger than I had imagined, and I'll need to figure out how to properly display this.
  • Always on the look-out for pre-War Phillies cards, I couldn't pass up adding Russell Wrightstone's card from the 1922 Neilson's Chocolate (V61) set.
  • And finally, I added 19 more cards to my 1971 Topps set.  I'm now down to needing just 22
    more cards for the complete set.  
Doug did his usual free-style pickin', adding some cool autograph and relic cards of current Phillies, including cards of Harper, along with a few Mike Trout additions.

After the show, Doug and I stopped at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Citizens Bank Park where we joined apparently thousands of other Phillies fans in purchasing their new Bryce Harper gear.  T-shirts were purchased for the family with Harper's new #3.  The store was packed with fans who weren't willing to wait until April for their new Harper t-shirts.  I'd say the line of customers waiting for custom Phillies jerseys was about 30 deep at 2pm on Sunday afternoon.

Memory Lane
Valley Forge 1 - September 2010 - Thinking of my Dad
Valley Forge 2 - October 2012 - Doug's first baseball card show
Valley Forge 3 - September 2014 - Meeting Darren Daulton
Oaks 1 - October 2015 - Meeting Pete Rose and Steve Carlton
Valley Forge 4 - September 2016 - Phillies acquisitions and 4 Phillies Legends
Valley Forge 5 - December 2016 - Meeting Don Money
Valley Forge 6 - September 2017 - Doug's big day
Valley Forge 7 - December 2017 - Ben's first baseball card show with Mike Schmidt and Rhys Hoskins!
Oaks 2 - December 2018 - Meeting Matt Stairs and Cole Hamels
Valley Forge 8 - March 2019 - 5 Phillies Autographs and Vintage Phillies Additions

No comments: