Sunday, March 1, 2020

Grapefruit Game 9 -1934-36 Diamond Stars #92 Ethan Allen

Blue Jays 6Phillies 5
Spring Training Game 9 - Saturday Afternoon, February 29th in Dunedin
Record - 6-2-1

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies bullpen couldn't keep the Blue Jays off the board in the late innings as they lost, 6-5.

What It Means:  Blake Parker and Ramon Rosso allowed three runs in the eighth and ninth innings to give the Blue Jays the win.

What Happened:  Nick Martini and Logan Forsythe homered for the Phils and Deivy Grullon had a two-run single in the sixth to give the team a temporary lead.  Austin Listi had a pair of hits and an RBI.  Zack Wheeler made his spring debut and gave up a two-run home run in his two innings of work.

Featured Card:  Doug and I attended the Valley Forge baseball card show on Saturday and I'll have a full post on our outing and our haul from the day posted soon.  I only added a few Phillies cards to my collection, including this Ethan Allen card from the 1934-36 Diamond Stars (R327) set.  I was thrilled to find this card at a reasonable price and I'm now just one card away from a complete seven-card team set from this mid-1930s release.

Most of my allowance money went towards purchasing cards for our 1965 Topps set, and you can follow along with our progress as we build that set at my other blog.

Camp Head Count:  70

1 comment:

Fuji said...

The 1934-36 Diamond Stars are beautiful. I'm not familiar with Ethan Allen the ball player, but I remember there being a furniture store by that name. I wonder if he retired and started that business.