On March 13th, I posted the final spring training game summary post from the game played on Thursday afternoon, March 12th. The Phillies won, 8-4 against the Rays in Port Charlotte. Following that game, baseball went on indefinite hiatus as the world grappled with the COVID-19 pandemic. A few weeks later, on March 26th, I posted on what would have been Opening Day with the mundane news that the Phillies had optioned six players to Lehigh Valley and the active roster (including non-roster invitees) stood at 52.
While live baseball was paused, I started going through my 1985 Phillies Scrapbook, posting game summary posts 35 years after the fact. My plan is to keep doing those posts from 1985 through July 16th and that year's All-Star Game. I'll then (hopefully) return to live baseball posts as the Phillies are set to open their 2020 season on either July 23rd or July 24th. I've read reports that up to three exhibition games will be played prior to the start of the regular season.
Which brings us to today. On Sunday, the Phillies released their initial Player Pool with 53 players, out of a potential 60, that will be eligible for play during the shortened 60-game season. For the first time since March 26th, here's the updated math for the Camp Head Count, and it's a bit convoluted how we got here.
Camp Head Count: This is best explained in steps, and keep in mind we were at 52 back on March 26th.
- Minus 2 - Non-roster invitees Drew Storen (rhp) and Matt Szczur (of) were released.
- Minus 1 - The injured Seranthony Dominguez (rhp) was placed on the 60-day injured list with a right elbow strain. He's headed for Tommy John surgery and will miss significant time.
- Minus 7 - Seven players who had been non-roster invitees were not included on the initial Player Pool list, including Christian Bethancourt (c), JD Hammer (rhp), Henri Lartigue (c), Nick Maton (inf), Mickey Moniak (of), Anthony Swarzak (rhp) and Luke Williams (inf).
- Plus 10 - Ten players who had been optioned or re-assigned earlier in the year were brought back and added to the Player Pool list - Garrett Cleavinger (lhp), Edgar Garcia (rhp), Kyle Garlick (of), Deivy Grullon (c), Cole Irvin (lhp), Damon Jones (lhp), Mauricio Llovera (rhp), Reggie McClain (rhp), JoJo Romero (lhp) and Nick Williams (of).
- Plus 1 - Pitching prospect Connor Seabold, not included as a non-roster invitee back in February/March was added to the list.
Notable omissions include Austin Davis (lhp) and Odubel Herrera (of). The Phillies currently have 39 players on their 40-man roster, with four players left off this initial Player Pool list - Davis, Adonis Medina (rhp), Cristopher Sanchez (lhp) and Arquimedes Gamboa (inf). Two veterans from the original non-roster invitee list who could eventually be added to the Player Pool are Bethancourt and Swarzak.
2020 Virtual Phillies Wall / 2020 Chachi Checklist