Game 123 - Saturday Night, August 17th in Philadelphia
Record - 64-59, 3rd place, 8 games behind the Braves
One Sentence Summary: After four straight wins, the offense quieted down and the Phillies couldn't overcome shaky outings from Zach Eflin and Nick Pivetta in this 5-3 loss.
What It Means: The Phillies are once again a game behind the Cubs for the second N.L. Wild Card spot.
What Happened: In his return to the starting rotation, following the season-ending surgery now scheduled for Jake Arrieta, Eflin was chased in the fourth inning having allowed three runs on seven hits. Pivetta gave up two more runs in his 1 1/3 innings. J.T. Realmuto hit a solo home run (19) in the third, but Bryce Harper went 0 for 4 with a pair of strikeouts. The team went 2 for 10 with runners in scoring position.
Featured Card: I was surprised to read the Phillies haven't won five games in a row all season, and the 1990 Phillies were the last team to hold that distinction (per this Tim Kelly Tweet). Bruce Ruffin is not amused. Hopefully, they'll start a five game (or more) win streak this afternoon in the series finale against the Padres.
|2019 Topps Heritage #3|
A nine-year veteran, Hughes was 3-4 with a 4.10 ERA over 47 games for the Reds this year, and he should provide an upgrade to the club's bullpen. His newest baseball cards can be found in Topps Heritage and Topps Series 2. Also, if you have the Justin De Fratus card (#274) from the 2012 Topps Heritage set, you already have a Hughes card in your collection as he's one of the four floating heads on the card along with De Fratus.
Arrived During the 2019 Season
- Jay Bruce - of (6/2/19) - Acquired from the Seattle Mariners with cash considerations for Jake Scheiner.
- Brad Miller - inf (6/13/19) - Purchased from the New York Yankees.
- Fernando Salas - rhp (6/13/19) - Signed as a free agent formerly with the Acereros de Monclova of the Mexican League.
- Logan Morrison - 1b (7/15/19) - Signed as a minor league free agent formerly with the New York Yankees organization.
- Mike Morin - rhp (7/20/19) - Acquired from the Minnesota Twins for cash considerations.
- Drew Smyly - lhp (7/21/19) - Signed as a free agent formerly with the Milwaukee Brewers organization.
- Jason Vargas - lhp (7/29/19) - Acquired with cash from the New York Mets for Austin Bossart.
- Blake Parker - rhp (7/30/19) - Signed as a free agent formerly with the Minnesota Twins.
- Corey Dickerson - of (7/31/19) - Acquired from the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named later and international bonus money.
- Jared Hughes - rhp (8/15/19) - Claimed off waivers from the Cincinnati Reds.
- Aaron Altherr - of (5/12/19) - Selected off waivers by the San Francisco Giants.
- Dylan Cozens - of (8/1/19) - Released and signed as a free agent with the Tampa Bay Rays, 8/9/19.
- Yacksel Rios - rhp (8/3/19) - Selected off waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates.