Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Happy Birthday Mom! Tax Cards Have Arrived!

1956 Topps #127
For the past 20 years or so, there's a three-month period from mid-January through mid-April where I disappear for most of the day and toil away at my chosen profession.  This was a challenging year, with the ridiculousness of the so-called tax reform on top of the normal wear and tear tax accountants face annually.  My most loyal and important client was once again my Mom, and I made sure to prepare and file her tax returns one early Sunday morning in late March.

Now that I'm on the other side of one more busy season, I wanted to make public the payment I received from my top customer for the preparation of her tax returns.  I feel this is a lopsided arrangement, as she's clearly overpaying for my services.  Then again, if more clients paid me in vintage Phillies baseball cards maybe I'd be less cranky every March.

The addition of the 1951 Berk Ross Curt Simmons card completes the 14-card Phillies team set for me.  I plan to share a gallery of this team set in a future post.  The 1961 Topps card for Don Ferrarese was the last card I needed for my 1961 Topps Phillies team set and I'm creeping towards a long-time goal of mine to have every Topps Phillies card from the 1960s.  A difficult to find high number card, I had been searching for this card in decent shape for a while.  The 1957 Topps cards for Chico Fernandez and Roy Smalley get me two cards closer to polishing off that team set as well.

1951 Berk Ross #4-9
1957 Topps #305
1957 Topps #397
1961 Topps #558
Having already completed a 1956 Topps set, I'm now selfishly trying to add a 1956 Topps Phillies team set to my 1950s Phillies binder.  I have to say I don't mind adding these cards to my collection for a second time, and the Puddin' Head Jones card shown here may be in better shape than the version in our complete set.  I should also mention that I've recently resurrected my 1956 Topps blog, and hopefully my posting over there remains somewhat regular.

Finally, I wanted to wish my Mom a very happy birthday and remind her that I'm forever grateful for everything she's done for me.  Happy birthday Mom!

2 comments:

Fuji said...

Hope your mom enjoys her special day... as much as you enjoy these awesome cards! Happy belated tax day!

Steve F. said...

Great cards from Mom!

It's not selfish to want a Phillies team set if you also have the base Topps set. Or if it is, I'm one selfish so-and-so. I have--or am trying to finish--all Topps base sets from 1968 forward, plus much of the low-number portion of 1952, and I also have separate Phillies team sets for every year. The one thing I do give in on is that I don't collect the non-base Topps cards with my full sets but I try to get those cards in my Phillies sets (like stamps, embossed, SPs and SSPs, etc.).