Here's a look at the new uniform numbers assigned to the newest members of the 2017 Phillies.
New Players (and a Coach) - Under 60 Division
- #5 Michael Saunders - Departed hitting coach Steve Henderson was #5 last year and the #21 Saunders wore the past few seasons with the Blue Jays had already been claimed by newcomer Clay Buchholz.
- #15 Sean Burnett - Emmanuel Burriss wore this number in 2016.
- #17 Pat Neshek - With Peter Bourjos moving on, Neshek reclaims the number he wore with the Twins from 2006 to 2010.
- #18 Pedro Florimon - Florimon takes Darin Ruf's old number.
- #21 Clay Buchholz - With #11 unofficially retired (see below), the new starting pitcher takes #21. Buchholz has previously worn #11 and #61 with the Red Sox.
- #25 Daniel Nava - Nava will wear the number worn by Cody Asche the prior four seasons.
- #34 Ryan Hanigan - Hanigan takes over the number worn by both Brett Oberholtzer and A.J. Ellis last year.
- #40 Matt Stairs - Mickey Morandini already has #12, the number Stairs wore as a player with the Phillies, so the new hitting coach claims the number worn briefly last season by James Russell.
- #47 Howie Kendrick - No surprise here as the veteran has worn #47 for his entire 11-year career. Charlie Morton wore the number last season for his four starts.
- #53 Joaquin Benoit - Daniel Stumpf, Frank Herrmann and now Joaquin Benoit are the most three recent #53s for the Phillies.
- #54 Pedro Beato - It appears as if Brad Lidge's number has been officially-unofficially retired. I don't believe anyone has worn this number for the Phillies since Lidge's final appearance in 2011. (Matt Harrison had been assigned the number when he came over from the Rangers in the Cole Hamels deal, but he never actually put on a Phillies uniform.)
- #55 Cesar Ramos - David Buchanan last wore #55 during the 2015 season.
- #59 Bryan Holaday - Elvis Araujo's old number goes to Holaday.
|2016 Topps Heritage #542|
- #30 Taylor Featherston - With Buchholz taking #21, Featherston switches to the number worn by reliever David Hernandez last season.
No one touches Dalier Hinojosa and his #94, but Drew Anderson and his #86 comes the closest.
Numbers Available - Unofficially Retired Division
The Phillies have an unwritten tradition of not giving out the uniform numbers of recently departed franchise players. For that reason, no one on the roster has been assigned #6 (Ryan Howard), #11 (Jimmy Rollins), #26 (Chase Utley), #35 (Cole Hamels) or #51 (Carlos Ruiz).
Numbers Available - Up for Grabs Division
Of the numbers still available, I'm surprised no one has claimed #3 which was worn last season by David Lough. This could be reserved for Chris Coghlan, who wore the number last season with the Athletics and who was recently signed on Friday. #41 (Jimmy Paredes) and #43 (Phil Klein) are still available, as is #52 (Severino Gonzalez).