Thursday, December 8, 2016

@Section_36 to the Rescue - Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Baseball Cards

2007 Bowman Heritage
Rainbow Foil #219
2007 Fleer #106
 
2007 Topps Update #UH103
 
2007 Upper Deck #393
 
Strange days indeed.

I've been in a bit of a funk since November 9th, and to be honest I haven't much felt like spending time with baseball cards.  But over the past few weeks, I came to the realization that there had to be some middle ground between reading about every new controversial move made or message delivered by the incoming administration and putting my head in the sand and pretending none of this matters.  In the weeks and months that follow, it will be extremely important to keep informed and to keep up with what's actually going on in our country.

But it's also important to occasionally enjoy some baseball cards.  I hadn't added many new baseball cards to my collection for quite some time until a surprise package showed up a few weeks back from Section 36.  For the eighth (!) year in a row, I was the recipient of a large assortment of Phillies baseball cards from Section 36 and it turns out that sorting through these cards and reminiscing about the "good old days" was exactly the therapy I needed after weeks of disappointment and angst.

For the uninitiated, Section 36 purges his collection every 10 years of non-Red Sox and other non-essential cards.  It was 2007's turn to receive the purge treatment, and I gladly inherited a nice stack of 2007 Phillies cards.  There are always some surprises from other years in a Section 36 package, and along with the 2007 Phillies cards I received an inordinate amount of Bobby Abreu and Chase Utley cards.  A Mike Trout card also found its way into the package, and that card quickly disappeared into my son Doug's player collection.

So when in doubt, and when things seem to be getting a little too squirrelly in our country and a break is needed, my advice is to sort through baseball cards.  Thanks again to Section 36 for providing some therapy.

We're The Phillies Room and we approve this message.

Memory Lane - Section 36 Purge
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


Sometimes there's no better prescription than immersing oneself in a fun activity.

As for finding a middle ground, I've learned one coping technique over the past month or so... When the President-Elect tweets something controversial couched in "perhaps" or "maybe" -- "Maybe we should annex Canada", "Perhaps we should shave the heads of all red-headed children" -- that's probably just a diversion that doesn't deserve the media attention it gets.

Tony Burbs said...

These are strange times indeed. I too have had a hard time trying to cope; although, I've found cards and blogging to be a very pleasant distraction. You hit the nail on the head.

Section 36 said...

Glad the package was able to bring a little bit of an escape!