Saturday, March 5, 2016

2016 Topps Heritage #473 Maikel Franco

Phillies 12Braves 11
Spring Training Game 5 - Friday Afternoon, March 4th in Clearwater
Record - 2-2-1

One Sentence Summary:  Cedric Hunter hit a walk-off three-run home run to give the Phillies an impressive 12-11 win over the Braves.

What It Means:  While we spent the day covered in more wet snow, it was nice to watch a ballgame on TV from sunny Clearwater.

What Happened:  Maikel Franco hit a home for the second day in a row and drove in four runs in this game.  In total, the offense pounded out 13 hits including two a piece from Franco, Brock Stassi, Ryan Jackson and Cameron Rupp.

Aaron Altherr had to leave the game after the first inning.  He injured his wrist trying to make a diving play on the first hit of the game by Ender Inciarte.

Featured Card:  I had planned to postpone featuring Franco's new Topps Heritage card in favor of a Hunter card, before I realized that I had already featured the one Hunter card in my collection.

My wife graciously stopped by Target on her way home yesterday and found a blaster box of the new cards for us.  This Franco card was the first Phillie from the packs I opened.  (Doug's first Phillie was Freddy Galvis and Ben has already claimed the Ben Revere card we found in one of the packs.)  I'll have more on the Phillies in the 2016 Topps Heritage set and how they compare to the Phillies in the original 1967 Topps set in a future post.

Camp Head Count:  66 - We're probably a week or so away from the first wave of roster cuts.  Looking back on last year's posts, the first roster moves came on March 16th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Ben is sticking with Ben Revere even though he's no longer a Phillie!

Steve F. said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the Heritage cards being out. I like 1967 Topps, but I _love_ that particular card! Well done by Topps!