Wednesday, March 9, 2016

2013 Topps Finest Rookie Autographs Refractors #RA-DR Darin Ruf

Phillies 4Pirates 2
Spring Training Game 9 - Tuesday Afternoon, March 8th in Clearwater
Record - 5-3-1

One Sentence Summary:  Darin Ruf and Cesar Hernandez led the way in a 4-2 win over the Pirates

What It Means:  The Phillies have a nice little three-game winning streak going.  I also wish my work schedule would let up slightly so that I could listen/watch some of these spring games.

What Happened:  Ruf hit a two-run home run in the first inning and Hernandez added a two-run triple in the second.  Adam Morgan pitched very well, allowing just a hit in three scoreless innings of work.

Featured Card:  With all the starting pitching depth added by the Phillies over the past two seasons via trades, Morgan has become somewhat of a forgotten man.  He started 15 games last season, going 5-7 with a 4.48 ERA.  He's still in the mix for one of the final openings in the starting rotation, but it seems as if the pitcher is destined to start the year back with the IronPigs.

He's been somewhat of a forgotten man in the world of baseball cards too.  His only 2015 baseball cards can be found in the 2015 IronPigs team sets.  In fact, I've previously posted every Morgan baseball card in my collection . . . so here's a card of Ruf instead.  (I had already finished my write-up on Morgan when I realized I had no new cards of his to post.)

Camp Head Count:  66 - The Phillies have apparently lost Aaron Altherr for most of the season with a torn tendon in his wrist.  Altherr was pencilled in to be the team's every day right fielder, and his injury opens the door for Cody Asche and Rule 5 pick Tyler Goeddel.

No comments: