Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Klentak Named New GM

2015 Chachi #70
2015 Chachi #68
Yesterday, the Phillies introduced Matt Klentak as their new general manager, succeeding Ruben Amaro, Jr. who was dismissed in September.  Klentak comes to the Phillies after serving four years as the Angels assistant GM (2012-2015) and four years as director of baseball operation for the Orioles (2008-2011).  Current team president Any MacPhail worked with Klentak while both were with the Orioles.

I'm excited about this move and at the very least the Phillies seem to be embracing the analytical side of the game that has been previously embraced by so many teams.  I'll admit though, it was weird making a custom baseball card for a dude who is (a) younger than me, (b) in a suit and (c) looks as if he could be working a few doors down from me in my office.  For some reason, making fake baseball cards for actual players in their twenties and thirties is fine, but making a fake baseball card for Klentak felt weird.

I thought I should also post the Highlight card I made for manager Pete Mackanin upon the removal of his interim title.  No one knows what the 2016 season has in store, but the two guys at the top of this post - Klentak and Mackanin - will be front and center.

* * *

In a strange but true move, Amaro, Jr. has been hired by the Boston Red Sox as their new first base coach.  I guess he just wanted to be closer to Section 36?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda know what you mean about the Klentak custom... I think it's mainly a loss of context when there are no uniforms involved. It takes one out of the "illusion" to some degree. It's kind of like the first time I ran into pro athletes in street clothes, and there's a part of your brain that says "I came to see ballplayers but these are just GUYS!"

As for "Ruin Tomorrow, Jr.", I think there will have to be a 2016 Chachi Departures card of him in his Red Sox uniform.

Section 36 said...

I'd have to double check the press release, but I'm pretty sure "Proximity to Section 36" was in fact the deciding factor.

It's a move that does make sense on many levels, but is really just too weird to comprehend.