Sunday, July 5, 2015

2004 Topps #561 Shawn Wooten

Braves 9, Phillies 5
Game 83 - Saturday Night, July 4th in Atlanta
Record - 27-56, 5th Place, 19 games behind the Nationals

One Sentence Summary:  The Braves jumped all over Phillies starting pitcher Kevin Correia early, putting any chance of a Phillies 4th of July victory out of reach.

What It Means:  For the Phillies . . . who cares?  For me personally, I won't remember this crappy Phillies game when I think back to 4th of July 2015.  I'll remember corn on the cob, burgs and dogs, sparklers with my sons and my nieces.  I'll remember watching fireworks and teaching my youngest son Ben about fireflies and how to gently catch and release them.  I'll remember yanking a loose baby tooth out of my oldest son Doug's mouth because I was tired of hearing him moan about it.  (Totally caught him off guard too.  He had no idea what was about to happen.)

But most of all I'll remember spending time with my family and being grateful I have the opportunity to do so on a perfect summer day.

What Happened:  Correia was chased in the fourth inning.  His final line in the game (10 hits, 9 runs) and his ERA over his last three starts (10.66) make me wonder how much longer he's a viable option in the starting rotation.  Darin Ruf and Odubel Herrera both homered in the loss.


All teams wore stars and stripes themed jerseys and hats for yesterday's ballgame.  I openly ridiculed everything about this until I heard that a portion of the proceeds from the sale of these hats and jerseys go to Welcome Back Veterans.

Featured Card:  Andres Blanco made his first career start at first base in this game, giving the Phillies another right-handed bat in the line-up against Braves starting pitcher Alex Wood.  According to this morning's Philadelphia Inquirer, Blanco (5' 10") became the shortest player to start at first for the Phillies since Shawn Wooten (also 5' 10") did it in 2004.  And now you know.

No comments: