Saturday, May 9, 2015

2015 Topps '52 Tribute Gold #299 Cole Hamels


Phillies 3, Mets 1
Game 30 - Friday Night, May 8th in Philadelphia
Record - 11-19, 5th Place, 7 1/2 games behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  Cole Hamels pitched a gem and actually received some run support as the Phillies defeated the first place Mets, 3-1.

What It Means:  Hamels outdueled Mets ace Matt Harvey, earning his second win of the year.

What Happened:  Hamels took care of the first seven innings, allowing a run on four hits.  Ken Giles and Jonathan Papelbon shut down the Mets in the final two innings and Papelbon's save tied him with Jose Mesa on the franchise's all-time leaderboard.

Ryan Howard drove in two runs and hit his sixth home run of the year in the fourth inning.  Freddy Galvis raised his team leading average to .351 with a three hit night.

Featured Card:  I really like these giant Topps Tribute '52 cards, only available for sale on the Topps website.  Sure it's a gimmicky cash grab by the company, but the cards make me think of the giant cards they put out in the early '80s.  I still love those cards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see those 5x7 sets on the website, and I can't help but think along the "cash grab" lines... but some of them do look pretty nice. Maybe someday I'll break down and get some.

Tony L. said...

I'm with Shlabotnik. Part of me wants to buy every one of those items on Topps's site. More of me feels like it's just a bad relationship -- Topps wants me to spend all my money on those cash grabs, and yet it continues to include fewer Brewers items in every set it produces.

The card still looks really cool, though.