Monday, March 9, 2015

2015 Topps Heritage #343 Cliff Lee

Phillies 5, Rays 4
Spring Training Game 6 - Sunday Afternoon, March 8th in Port Charlotte
Record - 2-3-1

One Sentence Summary:  Kevin Slowey pitched three perfect innings as the Phillies won against the Rays, 5-4.

What It Means:  Slowey is the early favorite to win the fifth starter's job to start the season.  However, there could be another opening in the rotation given the bad news announced earlier yesterday - see below.

What Happened:  Freddy Galvis, Ben Revere, Odubel Herrera and Brian Bogusevic all drove in runs in this ballgame.  Joely Rodriguez followed Slowey's performance with two scoreless innings of relief.

Featured Card:  Thanks to my wife Jenna, who made a few pitstops at Target this weekend, I have now opened more than enough 2015 Topps Heritage to satisfy my craving for new baseball cards . . . for the time being.  We bought a ton of 2014 Topps Heritage and I'm currently just 15 cards away from a complete set.  No offense to Jim from Downingtown, but I'm not that interested in collecting the 2015 through 2018 Topps Heritage sets which will use the designs from the 1966 through 1969 Topps sets.  I think the next Topps Heritage set that I'll actively collect is the 2019 set which will borrow from the 1970 Topps design.

The first Phillie I found in the packs of Topps Heritage I opened was Cliff Lee.  Unfortunately, we received word yesterday that Lee's problematic elbow was acting up again and the former ace was being shut down.  This came after he threw two innings on Thursday in his first game action since July.  This latest setback is troubling to say the least.

1 comment:

Jim from Downingtown said...

"No offense to Jim from Downingtown, but I'm not that interested in collecting the 2015 through 2018 Topps Heritage sets which will use the designs from the 1966 through 1969 Topps sets. "

You know what Jim? Neither am I. 3 or 4 years ago, I couldn't wait for 2016 to get here to see the 1967 re-issues. But you know what? I'm just not that interested in most of today's players, and from what I've seen of last year's and this year's heritage sets, it's almost a sacrilege that today's players are appearing on iconic designs from decades past.

So, I have no plans to purchase any heritage cards - 2016 or otherwise. (And I've already sworn off all other current sets for about 4 years now), so that's where I'm at.