Sunday, April 6, 2014

2014 Topps Turkey Red #41 Cliff Lee

Phillies 2, Cubs 0
Game 5 - Saturday Afternoon, April 5th in Chicago
Record - 3-2, Tied for 3rd Place, 1 1/2 games behind the Marlins

One Sentence Summary:  Cliff Lee pitched seven shutout innings on the way to a 2-0 Phillies win over the Cubs.

What It Means:   The Phillies will go for the series sweep this afternoon behind A.J. Burnett.

What Happened:  Lee, Jake Diekman and Jonathan Papelbon combined for the shutout, with Papelbon pitching a perfect ninth for his first save of the season.  Runs came courtesy of Chase Utley's second home run of the year, and an RBI-single from Domonic Brown in the fourth.  Marlon Byrd and Jimmy Rollins starred defensively in the win.

Featured Card:  I haven't featured any of this year's Turkey Red cards yet, as I agree with the opinion of my fellow bloggers (see here for an example) that this is just a horrible set.  It's boring.  It's pointless.  It pays absolutely no tribute at all to the original.  But of course I've added the Phillies cards I could find to my collection, and I just need the Utley card to complete the team set.

No comments: