Saturday, November 24, 2012

2013 Chachi Transactions #2 Juan Pierre


A week ago today, Juan Pierre officially became an ex-Phillie when he signed a one-year deal with the recently gutted Miami Marlins.  The deal makes sense for Pierre - he'll most likely lead-off and have an everyday job with the Fish.  I believe the Phillies would have brought him back, but he would have served as the team's fourth or fifth outfielder.

I had to choose an appropriate color combination for Pierre's Chachi Transaction card, as (obviously) the Marlins did not have any cards in the original 1973 Topps set.  I made an interesting discovery when I tallied the different color combinations used by Topps in the original set.  There are only 12 different combinations broken down as follows.  Note that a player's name in the original set appears only in black, blue or pink:


I can't explain why, but for some reason this type of stuff fascinates me.  How did the folks at Topps decide that the Phillies and Brewers were going to be represented by the colors pink and purple?  For the teams added post-1973, I've decided to go with the following combinations:


Can you tell I'm home for Thanksgiving, and I have a little extra time on my hands?  Isn't it glorious?

Moving On
Jason Pridie (10/6/12) - Filed for free agency
Tyson Brummett (10/18/12) - Claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays
David Herndon (10/23/12) - Claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays (Signed a split contract with the New York Yankees, 11/20/12)
Juan Pierre (10/29/12) - Filed for free agency (Signed with the Miami Marlins, 11/17/12)
Brian Schneider (10/29/12) - Filed for free agency
Jose Contreras (10/29/12) - Team option declined
Placido Polanco (10/29/12) - Team option declined
Ty Wigginton (10/29/12) - Team option declined

No comments: