Thursday, November 8, 2012

1974 Johnny Pro Phillies - Two More Added

1974 Johnny Pro Phillies #16 and #32
I wasn't aware of the awesomeness of the 1974 Johnny Pro Phillies set until adding the Bill Robinson card to my collection last month at the Valley Forge card show.  Johnny Pro Enterprises (not sure what they did back in the day) issued two regional baseball card sets in the early '70s.  Their first set was released in 1973 and featured 28 different Orioles cards on a green background.  (See here for an example from the terrific Number 5 Type Collection blog.)

In 1974, Johnny Pro issued 12 Phillies cards on a white background.  The Robinson card was the first to enter my collection, and I recently picked up the two additional cards featured at the top of this post.  That means I'm just 9 cards away from a full team set.  (Please see here for my updated 1970-1974 Phillies Want List.)

The Dave Cash card came from a recent work/Hurricane Sandy stress-induced Checkoutmycards buying binge.

Steve Carlton came my way via an eBay auction.  I have to give some credit (and free advertising) to the seller, who sent along a typed two-page listing of additional Carlton oddball cards he had for sale.  If you're in the market for vintage oddball Phillies cards (and if you're reading this, you probably are), please send him an e-mail at Nedco7 at comcast dot net.  The Carlton card arrived quickly and very well packaged, so I can comfortably give the seller The Phillies Room seal of approval.

1 comment:

Steve F. said...

That's a great set. I somehow lucked into getting the Schmidt card on eBay for about $15; it's the most expensive card in the set with a Beckett price of about $75 or $100, IIRC. So then I had to get the rest of it. I think I need about 2 or 3 still.

I wouldn't mind finding one already punched out and then standing them up on a shelf, but I'm not going to punch out the ones I have!