Saturday, September 15, 2012

2012 Triple Play #63 Ryan Howard

Phillies 12, Astros 6
Game 145 - Friday Night, September 14th in Houston
Record - 73-72, 3rd Place, 16 1/2 games behind the Nationals

One Sentence Summary:  Behind the offense of Ryan Howard and John Mayberry, Jr., the Phillies demolished the Astros, 12-6.

What It Means:  The Pirates and Cardinals both lost, so the Phillies are now three games back in the race for the second Wild Card.  I'll admit that I thought the second Wild Card was a horrible idea when I first heard about it, but of course now that it directly affects the Phillies - I'm all for it.  Late last night, I received this in an e-mail from the Phillies.  It's all happening:


What Went Right:  The Phillies scored four times in the first, starting with a lead-off homer from Rollins, and never looked back.  Howard and Mayberry combined to go 5 for 9 with six RBIs.  Chase Utley added a pair of RBIs and Domonic Brown contributed a two-run home run in the seventh.

Cole Hamels notched his 15th win of the season, tying his career high.

Featured Card:  I haven't featured any cards from the kids' oriented Panini Triple Play set yet, so I thought this would be a good opportunity.  I like these cards, and if Doug were a little older (and if he showed as much interest in baseball as he does in soccer and Star Wars), I'd help him complete this cool little set.  Panini doesn't own the right to use team logos on its cards, but the company actually used that to its advantage with this set.

2 comments:

Section 36 said...

Wow, playoff ticket orders. What's that like?

Jim said...

Still a long way to reality.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, so this is like an interest free loan that I'm giving the Phillies.