Friday, April 27, 2012

2012 Topps Gypsy Queen #30 Cole Hamels

Phillies 7, Diamondbacks 2
Game 19 - Wednesday Afternoon, April 25th in Phoenix
Record - 9-10, 4th Place, 5 1/2 games behind the Nationals

One Sentence Summary:  The Phillies escaped the West with a 7-2 victory over the Diamondbacks.

What It Means:  It means that somehow, the Phils came out of this ten-game road trip, the longest of the season, with a 5-5 record.  All things considered, it could have been a lot worse.

What Went Right:  Cole Hamels pitched a great game, at one point retiring 18 straight Diamondbacks.  In his eight innings of work, he allowing two runs on four hits while striking out seven.  Placido Polanco and Carlos Ruiz both enjoyed three-hit games while Hamels and Hunter Pence both knocked in a pair of runs.

Featured Card:  I returned from my brief work-related road trip yesterday to find a bubble-lope waiting for me containing the Phillies team set from the 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen offering.  I had recently won the set on eBay and featured here is the card of Wednesday's winning pitcher.  I have mixed feelings about this year's Gypsy Queen set.  I enjoyed the inaugural set that Topps released last year, but I'm not sure if a second set was merited.  Like most of the Topps "specialty" sets these days, there are number of short-printed variation cards within the main set which will make it particularly difficult for set builder (or a team set builder) to compile a complete set.  I'll reserve my judgment on the set for now, seeing as I've only had a few hours (as of this writing) to digest this year's Gypsy Queen cards.

No comments: