Thursday, December 22, 2011

Non-Roster Invitees - 5 More

2008 Topps Update #UH93
Why do non-roster invitees fascinate me?  I think it's my natural desire to root for the underdog that makes me appreciate these guys and their admirable perseverance.  I highlighted the first eight non-roster Spring Training invitees in a post earlier this month and since then the Phillies have handed out five more invitations.

Player (position) - 2011 Organization - Last Major Cardboard Appearance
9.  Dave Bush (rhp) - Rangers/Cubs/Phillies - 2010 Topps Update #US269 (Brewers)
10.  Steven Lerud (c) - Orioles - 2004 Bowman #160 (Pirates)
11.  Hector Luna (inf) - Red Sox - 2007 Upper Deck #97 (Indians)
12.  Lou Montanez (of) - Cubs - 2010 Upper Deck #78 (Orioles)
13.  David Purcey (lhp) - Blue Jays/A's/Tigers - 2011 Topps Update #US285 (Tigers)

Amazingly enough, Purcey is the first of the 13 players to have appeared in a 2011 baseball card offering.

I don't have Phillies-related baseball cards for any of these guys, which is why I decided to feature a card of my all-time favorite non-roster invitee - Chris Coste.

3 comments:

Jim from Downingtown said...

Speaking of Chris Coste, I was recently looking at my early-1960s Phillies cards, and I thought that the 1962 card of backup catcher Bob Oldis looked somewhat like Chris Coste. Check it out on Zistle.

Jim said...

You're right! Maybe they're long lost back-up catcher cousins?

Jim from Downingtown said...

Ha!


Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!