Tuesday, September 6, 2011

2011 Phillies Team Issue 2 #33 Cliff Lee

Phillies 9, Braves 0
Game 137 - Monday Night, September 5th in Philadelphia

One Sentence Summary:  Cliff Lee mastered the Braves.

What It Means:  The Phils are now up in the loss column by ten games and lead the Braves in the East by 8 1/2 games.  They're 89-48.

What Went Right:  I won't lie to you - my Labor Day weekend was fairly crappy.  I'd estimate 85% of my waking hours were spent laboring, which made me slightly cranky.  So sitting and watching tonight's game was a pleasure.  Lee (16-7) was in control from the outset, pitching his sixth shutout of the season.  In his last seven starts, he's 7-0 with a 0.96 ERA.  In the second, he struck out Freddie Freeman for his 200th strikeout of the season, reaching that plateau for the first time in his career.

And the offense showed some punch, making it a relaxing and enjoyable game to watch.  Hunter Pence led the way with a two-run single in the first and an RBI-double in the fifth.  Ryan Howard added his 31st home run in the seventh.

Featured Card:  Because Lee has had so many dominating games this season, I'm running out of his 2011 cards to display in these game summary posts.  This is his card from the "Series 2" postcard-sized set available for sale at the ballpark.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you need some help with Cliff Lee cards in future, I have a number of 2011 inserts and cards from other sets (such as Topps Attax) that I can scan for you to use on here. Just let me know.

Jim said...

Thanks! I have Lee's base Attax card, but I don't like enough to scan it.