Thursday, April 21, 2011

2011 Topps Heritage #146 Placido Polanco

Phillies 4, Brewers 3
Game 17 - Wednesday Afternoon, April 20th in Philadelphia

One Sentence Summary:  Home runs from Placido Polanco and Shane Victorino led the Phils over the Brewers, 4-3, avoiding the sweep.

What It Means:  The team is 11-6, still in first place in the N.L. East, a half game ahead of the Marlins.  After the game, they flew to San Diego where they will open a four-game set against the Padres late Thursday night.

What Went Right:  The Phils were held hitless by Chris Narveson until John Mayberry, Jr.'s double in the fifth inning.  Cliff Lee allowed three runs (two earned) and lef the game after six, on the hook for a potential loss.  But Polanco hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the sixth, and Victorino followed with a solo shot in the eighth.  Jose Contreras shut down the Brewers in the ninth, earning his fourth save.

Featured Card:  This is Polanco's card (the non-green, blue or red tinted version) from the 2011 Topps Heritage set.  One thing is for certain - Polanco sure does have a big melon.

Other Stuff:  This is going to be difficult for me to talk about, so I'm just going to put it out there and move on.  On Wednesday night, I rooted for the Dodgers.  As part of my recent trip to California, I took in the Dodgers-Braves game on Wednesday, and I rooted (and possibly cheered) for the Dodgers.  It was my first trip to Southern California and a visit to In-N-Out Burger and Dodger Stadium were absolute necessities.  Overall, it's a nice stadium, and I can appreciate the history and ambiance of the ballpark, despite its recent troubles.  Dodger Dogs were a must, and although they were good, they're no match for Phillies Franks.  The Dodgers won, 6-1, behind a complete game from Jon Garland and Juan Uribe's four RBIs.

2 comments:

Tommy said...

I feel betrayed. Hurt and betrayed.

Jim said...

Sorry, but the Braves are a division rival, and a good one at that. The only way I root for the Braves is if they're playing the Marlins or the Mets.

And even then, I kind of hope for a 18-inning game where the best players on each team start pulling hamstrings.