Monday, January 17, 2011

1991 Topps 1953 Archives #22 Howie Fox

As I was cleaning up the 1953 Topps reprint cards I scanned for yesterday's post, I realized I had neglected to include the card of Howie Fox in my summary of the 1953 Topps Phillies cards.  As I mentioned in the post, Fox didn't play for the Phillies in 1953, but he did appear in 13 games for the '52 squad, starting 11 games and muddling through with a record of 2-7.

Fox spent 1953 in the minors with the AAA Baltimore Orioles and then became one of the original big league Orioles in 1954 when the St. Louis Browns re-located to Maryland.  Fox spent a total of nine seasons in the Majors, seven of those seasons with the Reds, before calling it quits in 1955.

Sadly, on October 9, 1955, Fox met an untimely death when he was stabbed and killed in a bar he had recently opened in San Antonio, Texas.  The fine Orioles Card "O" the Day blog covered Fox's story back in July.

And now for a bit of lighter news . . . I misspoke in this post when I mentioned I now owned a Phillies baseball card from each of Topps' sixty base sets.  As of this writing, I don't own any original 1953 Topps Phillies cards.  The hunt will be on the next time I attend a baseball card show.

No comments: