Tuesday, November 30, 2010

2007 Fleer #104 Jamie Moyer

In a bid to pitch in the Majors again, Jamie Moyer will undergo Tommy John surgery tomorrow to repair his damaged left arm.  It's believed he will become the oldest baseball player to undergo the surgery, and the 12 to 18 month recovery period could mean he's ready for Spring Training 2012, when he'll be 49 years young.

I sincerely envy Moyer.  He's found his calling in life and he doesn't want to let it go, no matter how many trials and tribulations come his way.  Personally, I sometimes feel as if I'd like to go back in time and call "do-over" when it came time for choosing my profession.  Recent decisions made by the powers that be and the generally craptastic attitude around my place of employ have me wondering if the grass truly is greener anywhere else.  And if I needed to have a ligament replaced in my elbow just to keep on doing what I do on a daily basis, I would definitely just take my pencil and my calculator and go home.

Best of luck to Jamie, and perhaps by the time he's back on a big league mound, I'll have also found a new office door on which to hang my nameplate.

Wild Thing:  MLB Home Plate on XM 175 broadcasts the MLB Network's nightly programming.  On my drive home tonight, I caught Moyer's visit to the studio during which he discussed his upcoming surgery.  During the segment, Mitch Williams, now working for the MLB Network, pointed out that he and Moyer were traded for each other 22 years ago this coming Sunday.  On December 5, 1988, the Cubs sent Moyer, Drew Hall and Rafael Palmeiro to the Texas Rangers for Williams, Luis Benitez, Pablo Delgado, Paul Kilgus, Curt Wilkerson and Steve Wilson.  And now you know.

No comments: