Sunday, September 12, 2010

Scrapbook Sunday (Late Edition): September 11, 1985

1986 Topps #7
My Phillies' Scrapbooks primarily dealt with the exploits of the Phils (obviously) and my goal was to clip and save their box scores and anything newsworthy that happened to the team throughout the season.  But I occasionally veered into non-Phillies territory.  I always dedicated a few pages to the All-Star Game, because the All-Star game was (and is) awesome.  I clipped and saved each of Steve Carlton's box scores for games he started in 1986 with the Giants and the White Sox.  And I always had a section at the end of my scrapbooks documenting that year's Postseason play.  The Phillies, of course, were nowhere near the play-offs during my scrapbook years of 1984-1986 and 1990-1992.

During the summer of 1985, I dedicated several pages of my Phillies Scrapbook to Pete Rose's chase of Ty Cobb's all-time hits record.  Featured here is the page I gleefully created the day after he broke the record, 25 years ago.

It was great to see Rose on the field in Cincinnati recently during a pre-game ceremony commemorating his feat from a quarter century ago.  And I'd love to see him participate in one of the Phillies' Alumni Weekends one of these years.  Only Bud Selig (and probably Rose himself) know whether or not that will ever be a possibility.

No comments: