Friday, August 13, 2010

2009 Topps Allen & Ginter National Pride #NP46 Carlos Ruiz

Phillies 10, Dodgers 9
Game 114 – Thursday Night, August 12th in Philadelphia

I am ashamed and embarrassed with myself for what transpired on Thursday night. As a lifelong Phillies fan, especially as a someone who has closely followed the 2007-2010 versions of the Phillies, I should have at least considered not leaving the ballgame in the 7th inning on Thursday. Jenna and I attended the game, saw the Phils fall behind 6-2 after 7 innings . . . and we left. I had even kept score with the thought that I'd cheat and fill in the last few innings of my scorecard once I got home. I could give excuses, but the truth is I should have stayed and not doubted the possibility of a massive, unbelievable Phillies comeback. The first step to healing is admitting one's mistakes.

And how about those Phils? Down 7 runs heading into the 8th inning, the team somehow mounted an improbable comeback to stun the Dodgers (and those of us watching at home) by winning in walk-off fashion. Up until the 8th inning, it was a fairly boring game. Joe Blanton turned in another so-so pitching performance, Carlos Ruiz contributed to the 2 solo runs scored by the Phils in the 2nd and 4th innings, and the bullpen allowed the Dodgers to pile on more runs after Blanton’s 6th inning exit. And soon after, we exited too.

Dodgers' reliever Ronald Belisario did not retire a Phillies batter in the 8th, as the first 4 batters in the inning reached on 3 consecutive singles and a double – Placido Polanco, Mike Sweeney and Jayson Werth singled, followed by a Ben Francisco double. All would come around to score and it was suddenly looking like a respectable 9-6 loss for the Phils. And that's when Joe Torre made the mistake of inserting closer Jonathan Broxton into the game. Broxton's history with the Phillies is flat ugly – he allowed the dramatic 2008 NLCS Game 4 home run to Matt Stairs and he allowed an even more dramatic game-winning double to Jimmy Rollins in last year's NLCS Game 4. From Stairs' home run through the thrilling win last night, Broxton's record against the Phils is 2-2 with a 9.82 ERA with 3 blown saves.

Broxton had some help in handing the Phils this victory, although he's solely responsible for the hit batter followed by two walks to start the 9th inning and load the bases. So with the bases jammed, Francisco hit a sharp grounder right to third baseman Casey Blake, who had entered the game as a defensive replacement, for what appeared to be a dead double play ball. Except the ball went right through Blake's legs and two runs scored. As the remaining fans cheered (and as I watched in amazement from home) Ruiz doubled to deep center field to plate the tying and go-ahead runs. Go Phils!

And the scorecard shows how it happened.*

* Phrase courtesy of Section 36.

4 comments:

Section 36 said...

Not sure I've ever been quoted before. Thanks!

Great job keeping score...even if you were using the wrong scorecard.

Jim said...

I sense a return to keeping score at games. As soon as I started in the 1st inning, I remembered how much I enjoy doing it.

I still have the custom Section 36 scorecards - I'm just waiting for the right game.

Section 36 said...

It really is a different game when you keep score. On the rare games that I don't, I feel lost.

Saving them for a Phillies-Red Sox World Series game?

Jim said...

Now that would be worthy!