Monday, April 5, 2010

2010 Chachi #1 Jimmy Rollins

Last year, I rolled out the 2009 Chachi cards in a two-week-long frenzy of posts, posting the first 31 cards of the set in rapid succession. This year, I'm going to take my time as I've decided to return to the practice of making backs for each of the cards in the base set.

I've taken a few liberties with the original design of the 1974 Topps card backs. I have facsimile autographs of most of the notable Phillies, but autographs for folks like David Herndon or Juan Castro are going to be hard to come by. I made the executive decision to forego actual facsimile autographs and instead use a representation of each player's name in a script font. Also gone are the cartoons from the backs. I could scan and reproduce 40 to 50 different cartoons from the backs of the '74 Topps set, but I liked the look of the Phillies logo on the backs of the cards. (This is slightly less time consuming as well.)

As I write this, there are already 29 cards in the 2010 Chachi set, as follows:

- The opening day 25-man roster
- A team card
- 3 cards for the manager and coaches

Presented here is the first card of the set, lead-off man, and some would say leader of the club, #11, shortstop Jimmy Rollins.

Phillies debut: September 17, 2000
How acquired: Selected by the Phillies in the 2nd round of June 1996 draft
Wore #11 in the 2000s: Kevin Sefcik 2000, Jimmy Rollins 2001-2009
2009 Postseason: Hit a thrilling 2-run, walk-off double off the Dodgers' Jonathan Broxton in NLCS Game 4.
Pictured: World Series Game 5, November 2, 2009

No comments: