Sunday, January 31, 2010

Scrapbook Sunday: July 13, 1992

1992 Topps Kids #18 John Kruk

For this week's installment of Scrapbook Sunday, I wanted to remember a time when the weather was warmer and there wasn't snow on the ground. Flipping through my 1992 Scrapbook, I came across this page featuring John Kruk in a Braves jersey. The Phils were just awful in '92 and the Braves were at the start of their '90s dynasty, so the "Wishful Thinking?" caption is definitely appropriate.

Most of my 1992 Scrapbook chronicles various disabled list stints and documents grumbling from within the clubhouse as the team flirted with 100 losses on their way to a last-place finish. The tone of the season was one of discontent and denial. I was going through my own personal denial throughout the summer of '92 as my inevitable departure date for college approached. I was about to leave my home town, my family and my friends to study 500 miles away in unfamiliar territory. I've never been a fan of change and frankly, I was terrified.

At the time, little did I know that exciting, memorable, wonderful times were right around the corner, both for myself and for the Phillies.

No comments: