Saturday, January 23, 2010

2010 Topps #300 Chase Utley

The First Phillie . . .

Back in the day, whenever Wawa received its first shipment of the new year's Topps cards, my Dad would bring a few packs home and ceremoniously present them to me. We'd each open packs until one of us came across the "First Phillie" of the year. For some reason, I think my Dad would usually encounter the First Phillie, although it tended to be someone of the Luis Aguayo or Joe Lefebvre ilk, and not a star player.

The First Phillie of 2010 was this Chase Utley card. I opened the newly released packs in our kitchen last night, while Jenna was preparing dinner. Upon finding this card, I announced loudly to the household, "FIRST PHILLIE!" Of course this caused Doug to come running in from the den to check out the commotion. He decided he wanted to see the First Phillie too and then he decided he wanted the First Phillie for his collection. What's a father to do? I let him hold it, and he promptly bent it a little and then smelled it. (Not sure why a 3-year-old felt the need to smell a baseball card, but there you have it.) In any event, Doug was kind enough to let me have the card back long enough to scan and share it here – the First Phillie of 2010.

3 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm shocked he gave it back. He wanted it for his collection!

Matt Runyon said...

I miss the days of opening the first pack of the year. It was fun to be the first kid on the block to bring home the new cards.

Anonymous said...

That is a nice shot of Utley too. I like.