Wednesday, December 30, 2009

1982 Topps Stickers Phillies

1982 Topps Stickers - #73 Garry Maddox, #74 Mike Schmidt, #75 Steve Carlton, #76 Manny Trillo, #77 Bob Boone, #78 Pete Rose, #79 Gary Matthews, #80 Larry Bowa

I've spent the last few days in our basement, clearing space for Doug's new Cars GeoTrax metropolis. I finally went through and cleared out several boxes in the corner, which had been gathering dust since my Mom dropped them off over the summer. Slowly but surely, she's "reuniting" me with boxes of toys, drawings and knick knacks from my youth.

One of the boxes contained 4 (yes, four) 1982 Topps Sticker Books, only one of which contained a completed sticker set. In the spring and fall of 1982, my Pop-Pop would pick up my sister and me at the bus stop and take us to 11th Street to wait for Mom to finish work. Upon arriving at Nana and Pop-Pop's, and finishing off our Tastykakes, I'd get a pack of Topps stickers. (Sometimes I'd even get two packs.) Whenever I'd get enough stickers to mostly fill up a book, Pop-Pop would simply buy me a new sticker book and we'd start the process all over again. Much later I found out he would buy complete boxes of the stickers as they came into Wawa. He'd keep the boxes in his bedroom closet in order to always have a steady supply of new stickers for my frequent visits.

Presented here is the complete Phillies page from the 1982 Topps Sticker Book, made possible by my Pop-Pop.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I have the book & all the stickers in the set, but I haven't seen these actually stuck in the sticker book since I was little.

Pop-Pop said...

What a memory

Walda said...

When it was time to pick you two up at the bus, he would go in the bedroom and put a pack of baseball stickers and a pack of Annie stickers in his jacket pocket from his stash. For the record, Carol never did find sticker #37 to complete her Annie sticker book. I'm so glad you have these memories. Very special.

Walda said...

Why do I think the books might have been free - they made their money on the stickers? Is there a price on it anywhere?

Jim said...

The sticker books were a whopping 25 cents a piece!

Will Errickson said...

Cool! I was obsessed with these Topps sticker books as a kid.