Friday, November 6, 2009

1982 Donruss #585 Phillies Finest

We planned our Disney trip months in advance, without once considering the Phillies would be in the midst of their second consecutive World Series. With the Series tied at a game a piece, and with my rally towel packed, we arrived Saturday afternoon at the Happiest Place on Earth. We were ready for a week filled with rides and character greetings during the day and Phillies baseball at night. I was ready for a week of sensory overload.

The night before departing for our trip, my scanner died, perhaps overwhelmed by the Braulio Castillo baseball card I had forced it to endure. Fortunately, before it had fizzled out, I had scanned in a number of cards to post in order to celebrate each Phillies victory. Unfortunately, I was able to post just one celebratory baseball card following the team's Game 5 victory on Monday night. Presented here is one of my favorite Phillies baseball cards, which would have appeared had Pedro Martinez not been abused by Hideki Matsui in Game 6.

I'm disappointed in the outcome of the World Series - as are most non-Yankees fans. However, this is indeed a great time to be a Phillies fan, and there's a lot to look forward to during the Hot Stove season. I'm certainly not wishing away the winter, but it will be a happy day in February when the calendar tells us, "Pitchers and Catchers Report".

No comments: