Friday, October 2, 2009

2010 Chachi Prototype #GD Greg Dobbs

2010: A Chachi Odyssey, Part 14
In which finalist #2, a possible favorite, is revealed

The second of the 1970s Topps sets under consideration for the 2010 Chachi set is 1974 Topps. This set has a soft spot in my baseball card collecting heart as it was the second set my Dad and I tackled after completing the 1975 Topps set. I purchased the majority of the commons from Diamond Dust at the Ocean City Baseball Card shows of the mid-80s. A huge chunk of the set was delivered by Santa on Christmas Day 1987. But the 2010 Chachi Set Planning Committee reminds me we need more analysis and less nostalgia. So we forge onwards.

Pros: More lively than 1973 Topps, yet in a classy way. The requisite team cards, leader cards, and Postseason cards are all there. There's the first ever Topps Traded set to use as inspiration for possible 2010 Highlight cards and there's the "floating heads" coaches cards. Most importantly, this set makes me happy.

Cons: I'm drawing a blank. Could this be the 2010 Chachi set design? Two more candidates await consideration . . .

2 comments:

Matt Runyon said...

Plus you can do special cards like the Hank Aaron Specials (#2-6) on Phillie players. They'd look pretty cool.

Jim said...

Another great idea. Maybe a Mike Schmidt retrospective?