Tuesday, September 29, 2009

2005 Chachi #11 Jose Offerman

2010: A Chachi Odyssey, Part 3

The most vexing new member of the Phillies, who most likely would never be featured on a Phillies baseball card . . . new utility infielder/pinch-hitter Jose Offerman. The Wall now had too many holes, so drastic measures were needed. Then and there, I decided to make my own baseball card set. I would make it stronger and faster than the other insufficient baseball card sets. I would scoff at the 2005 baseball card sets as they were released without their Clay Condrey, Matt Kata or Eude Brito cards. My Phillies team set would feature them all, and best of all, I would create my new set using my favorite baseball card design of all-time - that of the 1975 Topps set.

Using basic graphic design software, a scanner, a little twine and spare coat hangers, the set slowly came together. Holes were filled on the Wall. The empty sleeve reserved for situational reliever Aaron Fultz now hosted an actual Aaron Fultz baseball card. No more would I look away disgustingly at empty spots dotting the 25-man roster. All I needed was a name for my set, my creation. (At this point in my narrative, I realized 2010 Chachi Set Planning Committee member Doug had wandered off and he was attacking his 1988 Score Juan Samuel card with Buzz Lightyear. I pressed on undaunted. Back to the Spring of 2005 . . . )

Somewhere outside The Crick, a motorcycle backfired (again). Our puppy Chachi proceeded to completely go bonkers-bananas and bark bark bark unrestrained at the offending motorcycle. The name of my set came to me then . . . To be continued.

No comments: