Thursday, July 9, 2009

2003 Fleer Tradition Update #U260 Jim Thome & Pedro Martinez

So let's assume the various news reports are true, and the Phillies are thisclose to signing Pedro Martinez . . . I think the first time I see Pedro Martinez in a Phillies uniform, I'll have the same reaction as when I first saw Fernando Valenzuela in a Phillies uniform: "Whoa. This doesn't look right."

My initial thought after hearing the rumors this afternoon was that I'd take Pedro over Rodrigo Lopez any day, nothing against Rodrigo. My second (and more optimistic) thought was that this potential signing doesn't preclude the team from trading for Roy Halladay. If the Halladay deal does go down, perhaps the Pedro signing would indicate that J.A. Happ would be part of the contingent sent to Toronto.

Other random thoughts:
- If this happens, I could also compare it to the 1989 Lenny Dykstra deal. I couldn't stand Nails when he was with the Mets, and I've never really cared for Pedro. Now that he's almost a Phillie, and if he pitches well, I guess he becomes one of "us"?
- The Phillies could be the last team listed on Pedro's Hall of Fame plaque.
- We're going to a AAA Lehigh Valley IronPigs game on July 18th. How cool would it be if Pedro is pitching in a "rehab" game that night?
- Would current bench coach Pete Mackanin give up his #45 to Pedro?

1 comment:

Pop-Pop said...

The Martinez deal could make the Halliday deal even stronger...stay tuned...
Oh yea, concerned about Moyers.