Tuesday, June 23, 2009

2008 Chachi #76 World Series Game 1/Cole Hamels

World Series Game 1 - October 22, 2008
Phillies 3, Rays 2

From the Phillies.com report of the game: The Phillies' return to the Fall Classic was an unqualified success, as they edged the Rays in Game 1 behind ace Cole Hamels, who won his fourth start of the 2008 postseason. In the first, Chase Utley became the 34th player in World Series history to homer in his first at-bat.

Charlie Manuel: "Yeah, Cole's pretty good, man. I'm glad he pitches for us. He's been very consistent all year long. How he pitched tonight, that's kind of like a regular game for him. He can be better. He can be bit sharper, but tonight he was very good."

Cole Hamels: "I think going into the game, being somebody else's home turf, the excitement they have with the crowd, you just have to, I guess, take a step back and know that you have a job to do, no matter how loud it gets."

Brad Lidge, who saved his 47th consecutive game: "I'm thinking about we've got a one-run lead and I've got three guys to get out. I'm thinking about who they are and what I need to do. I'm really so focused on that, that at this point, [a streak] doesn't come into play."

No comments: