Saturday, May 2, 2009

1956 Topps #PR1 Harvey Haddix

It bothered me that Harvey Haddix was pictured with the Cardinals on his 1956 Topps card, even though he only pitched 4 games with the Cardinals that year. So I've fixed that. The top card is Harvey's new and improved 1956 Topps Phillies card.

Harvey pitched for the Phils in 1956 and 1957, compiling a record of 22-21. In December 1957, the Phillies traded him to the Cincinnati Reds for Wally Post.

Kitten, as he was known during his playing days, is probably best known for the game he pitched on May 26, 1959, as a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. On that day, he pitched a perfect game through 12 innings, only to lose the game in the 13th. Can you believe it?

1 comment:

Pop-Pop said...

I shook hands with Harvey at Connie Mack Stadium...I went with my Dad...Harvey was smoking...so was my Dad.