Monday, April 11, 2022

Game 3 - Bats Go Cold, A's Avoid Sweep

2004 Fleer Tradition #491
Athletics 4
, Phillies 1
Game 3 - Sunday Afternoon, April 10th in Philadelphia
Record - 2-1, 2nd Place, 1/2 game behind the Mets

One Sentence Summary:  On a cold, overcast day at the ballpark, the Phillies bats went cold and the Athletics won, 4-1, avoiding the series sweep.

What It Means:  No rest for the chilly, as the Mets will come to town for a three-game set beginning on Monday night.  Ranger Suarez and Zack Wheeler will start the first two games of the series in their season debuts.

What Happened:  The Phillies managed three hits - a bunt single from Garrett Stubbs, a line drive to left from Johan Camargo and a solo home run in the ninth by Jean Segura.  Zach Eflin labored through four innings of work, but didn't allow a run.  Bailey Falter and Damon Jones each gave up a pair of runs in relief.

Featured Card:  Several years ago, I spent an enjoyable few months adding my entire Phillies baseball card collection to an Excel file so that I could easily sort and manage my collection.  I've updated the file each time a new Phillies card has been added to the actual Phillies Room over the years.  With no discernible highlight from this lifeless baseball game, I was curious to know the last time there was a baseball card with just members of the Phillies and Athletics on it.  According to my spreadsheet, that would be this card from the 2004 Fleer Tradition set, featuring a trio of pitching prospects.

While I'm bummed the Phillies lost this game, at least I get to soften the blow by posting a card of former Phillies reliever Geoff Geary.

No comments: