Saturday, March 13, 2021

Spring Training Game 12 - One Year Later . . .

2017 Choice
Williamsport Crosscutters #16
Phillies 6
, Orioles 2
Spring Training Game 12 - Friday Afternoon, March 12th in Sarasota
Record - 5-6-1

One Sentence Summary:  Zack Wheeler pitched four strong innings and the offense finally showed some life again as the Phillies downed the Orioles, 6-2.

What It Means:  One year ago, on March 12, 2020, I left my house with the hand sanitizer my wife had bought for me and made my 24-mile commute into Center City Philadelphia.  Taking the elevator to my office on the 17th floor (I think?) I made it through the work day, doing my best not to get too distracted by the increasingly bad news about the coronavirus.  I left work that day and haven't been back since.  It was odd to mark the one-year anniversary of this on Friday and in many ways it doesn't seem as if an entire year has passed.  I'm still working, still doing the same things I was doing this time last year, except I'm in my basement and my meetings are virtual.  Instead of having a bustling Market Street behind me, I have Star Wars and baseball card posters.  My work clothes haven't been off their hangers in a year, and I recently noticed some of my work pants are now slightly dusty.

One year ago today, I used the word "pandemic" for the first time on this blog, noting that spring training had been cancelled and the start of the regular 2020 season would be pushed back at least two weeks.

But now there's baseball being played, my family has its health and the weather is getting better.  Spring is coming, steady as she goes.

What Happened:  Wheeler allowed two runs on four hits while striking out three.  Five relievers - Jose Alvarado, Connor Brogdon, Archie Bradly, Hector Neris and Enyel De Los Santos - then combined to no-hit the Orioles over the final five innings, while striking out a combined 8 batters.  C.J.  Chatham started the scoring for the Phillies with an RBI-double in the second. 

Featured Card:  Third baseman Nick Maton hit a three-run home run in the sixth, giving the Phillies a 4-2 lead.  He's currently listed as the 19th best prospect in the Phillies' farm system by MLB.com, and he's likely to be one of the first infielders recalled during the season if the need arises.  I only have four of Maton's baseball cards in my collection, and this is the first from the 2017 Crosscutters team set.

Camp Head Count:  73

No comments: