Thursday, April 16, 2020

1985 Game 7 - 1985 Fleer #55 Bob Dernier

Cubs 1Phillies 0 (10)
Game 7 - Tuesday Afternoon, April 16th in Chicago
Record - 1-6, 6th Place, 5 games behind the Cubs and Mets

One Sentence Summary:  Bob Dernier's walk-off single in the 10th off Al Holland scored Larry Bowa and the Cubs won, 1-0.

What It Means:  I wish video of this game was readily available, as I'd love to re-watch this one.  A quick Google and YouTube search came up empty.  Amazingly enough, this extra inning game was played in under 2 1/2 hours.

This box score was a source of consternation for me back in the day, as I had no idea who "Arguello - ss" was.  The internet was a decade away and these box scores were my only source for day-to-day stats.  Of course I know now that Arguello was actually Luis Aguayo, but the Atlantic City Press box score editor at the time had no idea how much stress he/she caused me in April 1985.

What Happened:  This was a pitching duel between Jerry Koosman and Dennis Eckersley.  Koosman pitched eight scoreless innings, allowing five hits and striking out five before yielding to pinch-hitter Greg Gross to start the ninth.  Eckersley pitched a complete game, 10-inning shutout, allowing five hits, one walk and striking out 11.  Tim Corcoran had a pair of hits off Eckersley.

Bowa went 3 for 4 in this game with a pair of doubles off Koosman.  He led off the ninth with a single against Holland, was sacrificed over to second by Chris Speier and came home on Dernier's hit.

This was to be Holland's (Mr. T's) final game for the Phillies, as the team would trade him five days later to the Pirates for Kent Tekulve.  At the time, my two favorite players were Dernier and Tekulve, so this was a pretty big deal for me.

Featured Card:  I have to go with Dernier again here, over a card for either Koosman or Bowa.  He gets the nod for having the walk-off hit and for being my favorite Phillies player.

Also, this was an ad in the Phillies Today Scorecard Magazine available throughout the 1985 season at The Vet.  I wonder who won?

No comments: