Monday, February 27, 2017

Phillies Alumni and Fan Favorites (including Mike Trout)

2016 Chachi Alumni #8
I introduced an Alumni insert set within last year's overall Chachi offering, and in checking my records, I realized I never officially released the final card in that eight-card set.  To right that wrong, Shane Victorino's 2016 Chachi Alumni card is presented here and I believe it's one of his few (if not his only) virtual baseball card featuring him with the Cubs.  Victorino was signed by the Cubs as a minor league free agent last February 26th, but a little over a month later he was released.

I wanted to repeat the alumni theme this year, but I also wanted to include a card for non-alumni, but Phillies Room favorite, Mike Trout.  Therefore, after careful consideration, I'm introducing the new 2017 Chachi Fan Favorites set . . . which consists entirely of Phillies alumni and Trout.

Chase Utley in blue is still a strange sight for me, as is Cole Hamels with a full mountain man beard. But perhaps the strangest sight this year is that of Jimmy Rollins in Giants orange and black.  Rollins has a chance to make the club as a back-up infielder.  I'll add to this checklist as more Phillies players move around or as additional players are deemed worthy enough to be called Chachi Fan Favorites. (Suggestions welcome!)

2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #1
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #2
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #3
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #4
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #5
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #6
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #7
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #8
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #9
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #10
2017 Chachi Fan Favorites #11

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun set idea! You get extra custom "points" for including Darin Ruf with his Korean team.

I have a suggestion - and it's truly a suggestion, I'm not requesting anyone in particular. You could include former Phillies who are managers or coaches for other teams... although whether they'd be a "fan favorite" would be another question entirely (I'm looking at you, Ruben Amaro, Jr).

Baseball Reference makes it easy to find potential subjects...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_managers

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_coaching_staffs

...finding photos to use might be another story, though.

Jim said...

I almost made a Ruben Amaro, Jr. Red Sox card, but I had already included him in last year's Alumni insert set.

I never knew BR maintained a page tracking each team's coaches. Thanks for providing the link as I love seeing where former Phillies show up. I hadn't realized that Roger McDowell was now with the Orioles.

Steve F. said...

These look great, Jim! I especially like the Ruf card too. It will be interesting to see whether Ryan Howard catches on with someone--it doesn't look likely at this point. As for Trout, I prefer to think of him as a future Phillie....

Jim said...

Thanks Steve. I agree about the Trout card being for a future Phillie . . . it's only a matter of time.