Sunday, January 22, 2017

Bagwell, Pudge & Raines - Phillies Cards

1993 Upper Deck Fun Pack All-Star Scratch-Off #AS2
2001 Fleer Triple Crown Glamour Boys #3
1985 Topps Rub-Downs #9
There will be five inductees to the Hall of Fame this summer in Cooperstown.  Unlike the last time I watched election results come in, the recent announcement that Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines and Ivan Rodriguez received enough votes to make them Hall of Famers brought a smile to my face.  I'm not thrilled with, nor do I fully understand, the inclusion of former Commissioner Bud Selig in this year's class.  Rounding out the five inductees this year is former Braves General Manager John Schuerholz.

Each year when the new class is announced, I like to check my Phillies baseball card collection to see if any of the new Hall of Famers are represented.  I have no cards of Selig or Schuerholz in my collection, but I do have cards of the three players elected.

Jeff Bagwell
I only have one card of the Astros great in my collection and it's from the strangely titled Glamour Boys insert set from 2001 Fleer Triple Crown.

2001 Fleer Triple Crown Glamour Boys #3 - with Scott Rolen and Bernie Williams

Tim Raines
Raines appears on two different Topps Rub Downs in 1984 and 1985 that also happen to have Mike Schmidt on them.  He's also on a Doubles & Triples Superstar Special card with Juan Samuel in the 1987 Fleer set.

1984 Topps Rub Downs #23 - with Toby Harrah, Pat Putnam and Mike Schmidt
1985 Topps Rub Downs #9 - with Bill Buckner, Mike Schmidt and Ryne Sandberg
1987 Fleer #642 - with Juan Samuel

Ivan Rodriguez
The Pudge cards in my Phillies collection come courtesy of Darren Daulton's big year in 1992.  I have four insert cards from 1993 featuring this catching tandem, and another card from the 1995 Donruss Dominators insert set.

1993 Leaf Gold All-Stars #1 - with Darren Daulton
1993 Pinnacle Team Pinnacle #3 - with Darren Daulton
1993 Upper Deck Fun Pack All-Star Scratch-Off #AS2 - with Darren Daulton
1993 Leaf Gold All-Stars #U2 - with Darren Daulton
1995 Donruss Dominators #2 - with Darren Daulton and Mike Piazza

Memory Lane
2012 Inductees - Larkin and Santo
2013 Inductees - O'Day, Ruppert and White
2014 Inductees - Cox, Glavine, LaRussa, Maddux, Thomas and Torre
2015 Inductees - Biggio, Johnson, Martinez and Smoltz
2016 Inductees - Griffey and Piazza
2017 Inductees - Bagwell, Raines, Rodriguez, Selig and Schuerholz

No comments: